I recently received a request for a good lemon bar recipe – this one is a balanced blend of tart and sweet, and is easy to make. I recently brought these to a world cup match (Ghana vs. USA, for the curious) and they were a hit!
You will need:
- Flour – 3 cups
- Confectioners sugar – 1 & 1/3 cup
- Butter – 1.5 cups
- Eggs – 6
- White sugar – 1 and 3/4 cups
- Flour – 6 tbsp
- 6 Lemons
- Confectioners sugar – 1/4 cup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9.5×13” baking pan.
2. Combine the flour, the 1 & 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, and butter to make the bottom crust.
3. Pat dough into prepared pan.
I feel that those extra chunks of butter on top give the crust a shortcake-like texture. Either that, or I just love butter.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the crust is light gold.
5. Juice those lemons!
I don’t have a juicer, so I made do with a fork. 6 large lemons yielded about 1 cup of juice. Remember to remove those pesky little seeds.
6. Combine eggs, sugar, 6 tbsp flour and the lemon juice until frothy and there are no lumps.
Lumps = uncooked flour. Me no likey.
7. Pour the lemon/egg mixture onto the baked crust and pop it into the oven for 25 minutes or light golden.
Different ovens cook differently – make sure not to brown your lemon bars! Keep an eye on those suckers.
8. Once it is completely cooled, dust with 1/4 cup confectioners sugar and cut into squares.
Completely cooled, mmkay? If you try this step while the pan is still hot, you’ll get some hot c-sugar mess.
Dunzo! Lemon bars! Give it a try, and let me know how it goes.
What’s your favorite bar to eat? Bake?