I’d like to think that I jumped on the salted caramel train before it became wildly popular (Even Starbucks now has a salted caramel hot chocolate). Whether this is the case or not, I’m not actually sure. However, when offered the opportunity to create a recipe using Nature’s Pride bread through the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I immediately knew I wanted to incorporate salted caramel. The top 6 tastemakers get to demonstrate their recipes at this year’s Foodbuzz Festival – how sweet is that?? (Har har).
Incorporating a basic bread pudding base, this recipe’s secret lies in the homemade caramel and large-grain salt. I also use Herrell’s brand hot fudge, which is simply amazing – but feel free to use your own favorite chocolate topping. I made a full recipe to bring to work, and an individual portion for myself, ha! I’d recommend you do the same ;). Enjoy!
Bread Pudding with Chocolate and Salted Caramel Glaze
6 slices of Nature’s Pride Country White Bread
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 jar of your favorite premium chocolate topping
Large grain sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Break bread into small pieces. Place pieces in 8-inch baking pan or dish.
3. Drizzle melted butter over bread pieces
4. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add in cream, milk, sugar and vanilla until combined.
5. Pour egg mixture over bread pieces, pressing down on bread pieces to maximize soaking.
6. Bake for 45 minutes, or until texture is spongy.
Meanwhile, make the caramel glaze:
7. Dissolve sugar in water over low heat. Do not stir!
8. Once mixture turns light golden, immediately remove from heat.
9. Gradually add cream and vanilla, stirring until caramel glaze is smooth.
10. Drizzle caramel glaze and chocolate sauce onto bread pudding – you won’t use all of it. Sprinkle with salt, to taste. Serve immediately!