Happy Thanksgiving week! Yes, I like to extend this holiday of thanks to a 7 glorious days of gluttony. In honor of the holiday, I will be posting three of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes for your mouthwatering pleasure. These recipes are simple, yummilicious, and are bound to impress your family members, who will think you spent hours toiling away in your tiny apartment kitchen (oh wait, that’s just me). I hope some of these dishes will end up on your table this Thursday!
I start this recipe week with the basic mashed potato. Simple, un-pretentious and incorporating a whole head of garlic. Whaaa? Yeah, you heard me right. Think you can handle it? Then keep reading…
You will need:
1 head of garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
2.5 lbs potatoes (reds or Yukons work great), scrubbed
0.5 cup cream
1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place peeled cloves from garlic head onto foil, drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast in preheated oven for 35 minutes.
2. (I prefer skins-on, but if you like skinless mashed potatoes, you’ll want to peel them before this step). Boil large pot of salted water. Add potatoes to boiling water and cook until tender, approximately 22 minutes (more for larger potatoes).
3. When tender, drain potatoes. Return potatoes to pot and add cream. Mash until combined.
4. Add cream cheese, garlic powder, and roasted garlic and continue mashing till well-incorporated.
5. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chives, if desired.
Sure, you might need some Altoids after this, but I think it’s worth it, don’t you?
What are your favorite mashed potato add-ins?