Who loves salted caramel? (I do, I do!)
It’s no mistake that this is the third recipe on this blog to feature caramel + salt (Check out my posts on salted caramel brownies and salted caramel bread pudding!). One of my blogging buddies, Layla could really use your support – read about her story here. Since Layla and I share a mutual love for salted caramel, I whipped up a batch of chocolate caramel cookies with sea salt for her. Keep an eye on your mailbox, girl!
I used this recipe, which has been making the rounds.
You will need:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
5 tbsp butter
7 tbsp unsweetened cocoa (dark, if available)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Makes about 20 cookies of various sizes 😉
1. Preheat oven to (my favorite temperature) 350ºF; line 2 baking sheets with baking paper, lightly coated with cooking spray
No picture necessary, right? I think you get the gist.
2. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Sift together flour, soda, and salt; set aside.
Whereas THIS step, man. I felt compelled to provide this enthralling picture. Don’t get too excited now.
Optional step: If necessary, cut caramel into manageable pieces.
Mine were rectangular. Not a fan.
3. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat; stir in cocoa powder and sugars.
4. Add yogurt and vanilla, stirring to combine. Add flour mixture, stirring until moist.
5. Wrap the chocolate dough around the caramel. Place balls on cookie sheets and sprinkle with sea salt.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until almost set. Cool on pans 2 to 3 minutes or until firm. Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks.
You can see the teensy bit of caramel poking out there, mmmm.
Look pretty deeelish, don’t they? They taste pretty good too – of course I had to sample one before shipping them out. ;).
Oh, you’d like some baked goods as well? Then check out the #OperationLayla online bake sale – my lemon-glazed madeleines are up for auction, and they are only available today! I’m so curious to see who I’ll be shipping some madeleines out to! Will it be YOU? 🙂