I recently posted a tutorial on how to prepare fava beans, as well as a yummilicous recipe for fava bean and asparagus risotto. As opposed to the risotto recipe, which takes a bit of time to prepare (though well worth it, in my opinion!) – today’s recipe for fava bean and mint salad with Parmesan is quick and easy. And the end result just bursts with fresh produce flavor!
You will need:
Adapted from Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3 lbs fresh fava beans, shucked, blanched and shelled
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled or shaved Parmesan
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest for garnish (optional)
Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and sugar in a bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add the fava beans and mint and toss to coat. Taste and add more salt if needed and add a sprinkle of pepper. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve, garnished with lemon zest if you like.
Whip this up for a quick starter salad or side dish, and let me know what you think of it!
Have you tried fava beans yet?