Do you ever get really excited about a particular ingredient or recipe only to find the end result a little….off? I can’t be the only one here. I recently had that very experience with this lovely purple cauliflower I picked up from the farmer’s market. Isn’t it gorgeous?
I decided to make a creamy cauliflower soup, and was really looking forward a gorgeous, lavender-hued soup to savor! I followed a pretty standard “non-recipe” recipe that can be used for any cream soup:
Cream of Cauliflower Soup
You will need:
- 1 head of cauliflower OR broccoli OR 4 medium-sized potatoes
- 1/2 cup of cooked rice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups of chicken broth (or bouillon to make 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup of cream, half-and-half, or milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cut featured vegetable into medium-sized pieces.
2. Combine vegetable, rice, garlic and chicken broth in medium-sized pot. Simmer over low heat until vegetables are soft.
3. Once vegetables are tender, remove from heat and use a hand blender to puree mixture into a smooth consistency. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Don’t get me wrong – this soup was delicious! I was just a little distracted by the lavender color that I was so excited about. It’s not every day that you eat lavender tinted soup, you know?
What do you think? Would you eat this soup? How would you have prepared this purple cauliflower – inquiring minds want to know!