Happy Valentine’s Day, Noshers! Any special plans for today? I will be working just like any other Thursday – life goes on! But I just wanted to share this super simple and delicious recipe for chocolate bread pudding that I tried from the King’s Hawaiian website. If you’re at your wit’s end looking for a last-minute way to impress your honey, this go-to recipe will win him or her over! I cut the recipe from the website in half – making 3 individual servings. Hmmm, you, your sweetheart…and a friend? Or all three for you? I won’t judge!
You will need:
Chocolate Bread Pudding
(from King’s Hawaiian website)
- 1 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 4 ounces of King’s Hawaiian Original Hawaiian Sweet Bread (I used 3 King’s Hawaiian hot dog buns), cut into 1-inch pieces
1. Heat half-and-half in 2-qt saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles form around edge. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate, mix until melted. Cool slightly.
2. Whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt.
3. Fold 1/2 cup cooled chocolate into egg mixture. Slowly add the rest of the chocolate, taking care not to cook the eggs!
4. Pour chocolate mixture over bread cubes and mix until bread is well coated. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 325° F. Lightly apply non-stick spray to three 6-oz custard cups. Mound bread equally into each cup. Place cups on baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out nearly clean.
These individual bread puddings puff up nicely from the egg and make a lovely presentation – slice some fruit for garnish or top with whipped cream to finish it off. I’d also recommend using your finest, richest chocolate – it makes a big difference! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think! Enjoy!
What are your Valentine’s Day plans?