Happy Monday, Noshers! How many of you are off work today? I’m one of the minority who are at work this morning (wahh). Hope you have some lovely plans if you have the day off!
Today, I’m happy to share some recipes that I’ve recently tried. A few weeks ago, the folks at organicgirl offered to send me a few of their products to sample – organicgirl offers several varieties of salad blends that make it easy to eat healthy. All of their products are organic, triple washed, and ready to eat. I readily admit that I don’t eat vegetables nearly as often as I should (remember my Veggie Resolution?). While I have come a long way with vegetables versus a few years ago, as in – I actually like them now! – I often feel a little lazy about prepping them. So I was interested to check out the organicgirl products and see if they would encourage me to spend the time to prep and eat them 🙂
I received three varieties – SUPERGREENS!, i <3 baby kale!, and five happiness. I also received a few recipe cards, which is a good thing – otherwise, I’d probably throw some dressing on the greens and call it a day 😉
I first dug into the baby kale blend, because 1. I like smoothies, and 2. This was the simplest recipe at only 3 ingredients. Of course, I still managed to mess up the recipe – but it still tasted delicious! Oops! Haha.
Tropical Baby Kale Smoothie
- 1 1/2 cup organicgirl i <3 baby kale!
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup frozen mangoes
Put all ingredients into a powerful blender and blend on high until smooth, adjust consistency as needed and serve.
Instead of putting 1 1/2 cups of the baby kale mix, I accidentally put the whole container of kale in. Which is waaay more than 1 1/2 cups. Oops! So the smoothie probably was a *little* greener than it could have been, but it was still super yummy. I admit I was a little intimidated by how green it was, but it tasted more like mango than anything else. Yum!
I then tried making the “Five Happiness Tasty Asian Salad” (or as I just call it, “Salad”. Har har), with the five happiness mix.
Five Happiness Tasty Asian Salad
- 5oz clamshell organicgirl five happiness
- 1 cup of organic mandarin orange slices
- 1/2 cup of edamame
- 2 tbsp salted peanuts, crushed
- 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp red chili pepper flakes
1. Place salad ingredients in a large bowl, set aside.
2. Place all dressing ingredients in a bowl, mix until smooth.
3. Drizzle dressing over salad, toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add chicken, shrimp or tofu for a complete meal!
I added tofu to mine for some protein, even though you do get a pretty good amount from the edamame. I tried a small bowl of it, and I really liked the sweet (from the oranges) and spicy (from the pepper flakes) combination. The rest is in a container for me to eat for lunch today!
Finally, I made a white bean and chard bruschetta (first photo) with the SUPERGREENS! mix – I saved this recipe for last because it looked the most complicated (let’s face it, it really wasn’t that complicated), but it ended up taking only a few minutes to prepare. This recipe was a wonderful mix of garlicky, spicy and hearty. I also was reminded of how much greens cook down when cooked!
White Bean & Chard Bruschetta
- Two 5oz clams organicgirl SUPERGREENS!
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- One 15oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 18 slices baguette, 1/2 inch thick
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese shavings
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in large skillet over high heat. When hot, add SUPERGREENS! and cover with lid. Stir SUPERGREENS! with tongs after 1 minute and replace lid. Cook 2-3 minutes more until wilted but still bright green.
2. Remove from heat and add white beans, 1 tbsp oil, lemon juice and chili flakes. Season with salt and pepper, toss.
3. Rub each baguette with garlic. Lay bread slices evenly on baking sheet. Drizzle bread with an additional 3 tbsp olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on hot grill for about 1minute on each side, or until grill marks appear (I don’t have a grill, so I popped the baguette slices in the broiler for a few minutes)
4. Arrange toast on platter and top with SUPERGREENS! mixture. Finish with a generous sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
organicgirl‘s products and recipes made it super easy to eat healthier, and I admit – I had no excuse not to eat right as long as those greens were in my fridge. You can find their products at Whole Foods, stop & shop, and several select retailers. I’m looking forward to trying their other products (there’s one called vive la France! that looks enticing) and recipes – especially if they are as delicious and easy as the ones I tried here. 🙂
What’s your favorite easy veggie/greens preparation?