It’s the end of summer – time to break out the puffer vests and sweaters! Or at least, it should be. It appears that Mother Nature didn’t get the memo, as this past weekend was in the 80s here in NYC (not that I’m complaining AT ALL). One of the benefits of this late summer is seeing produce that would usually be long gone by now at the farmer’s market. I recently picked up some white peaches and decided to roast and parfait them up. As a certain loveable donkey in Shrek once said, parfaits are delicious! This parfait is great for a lazy weekend brunch, or even a “healthy” dessert (not gonna lie, the butter and sugar isn’t exactly super healthy but it sure makes it amazing).
Roasted Peach Parfait
(makes 6 parfaits)
- 1/2 cups hazelnuts
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large peaches, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups plain or vanilla yogurt (I like Greek yogurt!)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread hazelnuts out in a single layer on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Toast in oven 10 to 15 minutes, stirring about 5-7 minutes in. Remove from heat, and when cooled, roughly chop.
2. Raise oven heat to 425°F. In a baking dish, combine honey, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and peach pieces. Top with butter and bake for 5 minutes.
3. To assemble the parfaits, start with the roasted peaches (with the syrup, yum!), layer with yogurt, and repeat until the container is filled. Top with chopped roasted hazelnuts and serve immediately.
What are your favorite parfait ingredients?